As a search marketing manager I often receive emails from people on a daily basis that ask me what to do after their rankings have dropped significantly. And when I say significantly, I mean it.
Some websites have experienced dropping a few positions in rankings and some have literally disappeared from the listings. ”Why is this happening to me?” tends to be the most frequently asked question. There are of course, a number of reasons as to why this is happening. Essentially, it is caused mostly by us – simply because we want to rank high in search engines but pay as little as possible at the same time.
Finding the right SEO strategy for a website requires extensive research, skills and patience. We all want efficient results, and that is not uncommon at all seeing as we all appreciate how important it is to be on the first page of Google. The higher our website is positioned the more clicks we receive. Here is a little graph showing the shares by impressions based on our website positions in the SERPs.
What should you do If you’ve already been affected by the latest update?
Once your site has been inflicted by bad SEO practices, then it’s in a state of emergency. The first thing to do is review your link profile and find and filter the poisonous links. Here’s how:
Log in to your Google Webmaster account and download a list of inbound links. You can also use your own tools such as Open Site Explorer, or any link analysis tool.
Find the spammy links and review each of them manually. You need to look for links that are coming from spammy websites. If you are not comfortable using Webmaster Tools then hire a professional and ask for comprehensive link audit. It should not be too expensive.
Send requests the resource site’s webmaster to remove the link. In most cases webmasters ignore these requests, but make sure you follow up your email if you can see no changes on your link report.
Perform a Disavow request via Google Webmaster Tools. It’s a relatively new function in Webmaster Tools that is designed to report spammy links to Google and request the search engine to remove these links. You also have to Disavow those that have been removed already.
Resubmit your website to Google for reconsideration. Make sure you have removed all the suspicious links before resubmitting your site to Google. It can save you time and your website can begin to recover from the latest Google link disease. It may also take several months while Google re-crawls your site and re-indexes it.
After the process is complete it’s time to hire an SEO company with a good reputation and rebuild your web presence. The question is, how?
What to do if you have recovered from Penguin 2.0
If you have already completed the first steps of the recovery process and have managed to clean your website’s link profile, then it’s time to rebuild those valuable links to increase your rankings in the SERPs. You have probably learned a very important lesson from the past few months so I don’t need to mention how important is to use only trusted methods and companies.
There are a few requirements to take into account before you choose your SEO company.
- Avoid using cheap SEO companies offering services for significantly cheaper than others. Companies charging at a low rate are most likely using low quality links from cheap resources. Moreover one should note that an expensive company does not necessarily mean it’s the best.
- Avoid using companies that offer building a large amount of links within a short period of time. Link building requires time and we all know that time cost money. If you register too many links within a short period of time, it’s likely that you’ll be penalised by Google. So don’t risk it, do it the right way.
- Avoid companies with a bad reputation. Search Google for keywords such as “reviews company name” to ensure that the company has a low number of bad reviews.
- Search for the company through various social media outlets to make sure they maintain their social media appearance. This is also helpful in checking for possible complaints against the company.
- Evaluate what the company has to offer for your money. It is important to note that forum links and comment links hold little or no value. If a company offers only those services, then they are best to be avoided.
- Always ask questions to make sure the company you have chosen is responsive. This also helps you gain an understanding of the steps they take in order to achieve the results you want. And remember, professional SEOs are always happy to answer your questions when they understand how important the work is for a client.
- And last but not least, ask your potential SEO company to provide you with detailed links and SEO reports. It can illustrate their performance and progress on a month-to-month basis ultimately ensuring that you are getting value for money.
Feel free to comment by tweeting us on @PrettyKlicks